Fort Lytton Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery

A Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery was sited at Fort Lytton during WW2. It consisted of four 3.7-inch heavy anti-aircraft guns. Each gun was in its own protective emplacement (gun pit) consisting of a polygonal concrete block wall with protective earth and rock piled around the outside. The four gun pits were sited around a command post. The command post contained instruments for estimating data such as aircraft range, height and direction, and an electro-mechanical computer (predictor) which calculated bearing, elevation and fuse-time for the guns. The battery still exists in relatively good condition about 300m from the Fort Lytton Visitor Centre and inside the perimeter of the Caltex refinery. The above photo was taken in November 2015 and shows the four gun pits, the outside of each being covered in grass.
google-satellite-view-lytton-heavy-aa-battery-retrieved-22-oct-2016This Google satellite image was retrieved in October 2016 and shows all four gun pits. The command post is at the left (western edge) of the site and is largely obscured by a tree.
The following photographs are from the Australian War Memorial. They were taken at Fort Lytton on 11 November 1943 by Ronald Noel Keam, an official photographer. The gunners are from 385th Troop, 6th Australian Heavy Anti-Aircraft Battery.
Heavy AA Battery Several Gun Pits 060054 AWM 060054 GUNPITS WITH GUNS VISIBLE.
Heavy AA Battery outside gun pit AWM 060060 AWM 060060 GUN CREW RUN TO THEIR GUN PIT IN RESPONSE TO AN ACTION ALARM DRILL

3.7_inch_AA_gunner_Lytton_Qld_Nov_1943_AWM_060056 AWM 060056 PREPARING TO LOAD
Crew_with_3.7_inch_AA_gun_rangefinder_Lytton_Qld_Nov_1943_AWM_060059AWM 060059 OPERATING A NO. 3 MARK IV TYPE UB7 RANGEFINDER IN THE COMMAND POST.
Heavy AA Battery with PREDICTOR AWM 060057 AWM 060057 OPERATING THE PREDICTOR IN THE COMMAND POST.
Heavy AA AWM 060058 AWM 060058 AIRCRAFT SPOTTER SCANNING THE SKY.
Heavy_battery_crew_with_searchlight_Lytton_Qld_Nov_943_AWM_060036 AWM 060036 150cm SEARCHLIGHT
A detailed model of the site is on display in the Old Artillery Store building.
Share